A figure artist I know once told me that when she needs to get back to learning the basics, she goes back to eggs, sketching them to learn anew form and shadow and shape. 'An egg a day.' I like that idea.

Writers may not be able to draw eggs, but we can write about them. 

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Egg #6: The Moody Egg

In her short story 'The Easter We Lived in Detroit,' Janet Kauffman uses a hard-boiled egg to evoke the mood of a character:

In the kitchen, I took a blue-painted hard-boiled egg from the refrigerator, poured some milk, and let my eyes travel the walls in the indoor light. It was a greenish, undersea light, very mild. I peeled the egg and sliced it with a steak knife onto a big plate, where the two halves slid together. They arranged themselves, it certainly seemed to me then, as downhearted, pitying eyes. I just whispered, Don't you worry. Not today.

Take an egg - cooked any style - and use it to evoke the mood of a character. In the above passage, the character is missing her daughter, whom she hasn't spoken to in months. What is the emotional landscape of the character you have in mind? How can a simple egg portray the mood of that character?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers